Automotive Belts and Hoses in Frederick, MD
Replacing Belts and Hoses in Frederick, MD
Most people don’t think about their cars belts and hoses until a belt breaks or a hose ruptures. Unfortunately, by the time that happens, it is too late, you’re stuck on the side of the road. Why does that happen? Because belts and hoses are exposed to heat, vibration, moisture and other harmful chemicals under the hood of the car they have a relatively short life span. They will often dry rot, crack, fray, break, split, or leak as a result. If not addressed promptly, these kinds of problems can cause disaster for you and your car, usually in the form of a breakdown on the side of the road. A visual inspection of belts and hoses in Frederick, MD can help detect problems before they happen. Some times radiator hoses in Frederick, MD deteriorate, cracking and splitting, from the inside-out making their condition a guessing game with only a visual inspection. Belts and hoses in Frederick, MD should be inspected frequently and the trusted local, Auto Mechanics at Carriage House Automotive can do that for you.
Your car’s belts in Frederick, Maryland 21701 drive some of its vital components like the water pump, alternator, and air conditioning compressor. As such it’s important that they be inspected by a Frederick, Maryland mechanic to make sure there are no problems.
What to look for with a Belt Inspection in Frederick, MD:
- Signs of Damage such as cracking, glazing, chipping, tearing, cords showing, or wearing down.
- Check belts for proper tightness (tension).
- Check for proper alignment between pulleys.
- While the engine is running listen for noises such as screeching or squealing.
- Inspect belt pulleys and belt tensioners for worn bearings.
- Check belt tensioners for tensioning ability.
What to look for with a Hose Inspection in Frederick, MD:
- Indications of damage– This includes leaks, cracks, cuts, hardening or softening. Hoses that have become hardened will make crunching noises when squeezed. This is an indication that the inside of the hose may be damaged from age.
- Pressure test the cars cooling system– Pressure testing duplicates engine operating pressures and allows auto mechanics in Frederick, MD to better evaluate hose condition by exposing deformities or bulges. It will also expose any leaks that might be happening when the cooling system is under pressure while the engine is running.
- Coolant/ Antifreeze test– Testing the coolant’s condition will not only determine how well it will cool the engine but also how much freeze protection it has. If engine coolant freezes it can cause a hose to rupture or even destroy an engine..
Here is a brief description of the Frederick, MD belts to inspect:
- Alternator belt in Frederick, MD.
- Power steering belt in Frederick, MD
- Air conditioning belt in Frederick, MD
- Fan Belt in Frederick, MD
- Water pump belt in Frederick, MD
- Serpentine belt in Frederick, MD- Some vehicles have multiple belts while others have a single referred to as a serpentine belt.
Here is a brief description of the Frederick, MD hoses to inspect:
- Radiator Hoses in Frederick, MD. (usually upper and lower but some cars have more)
- Power steering hoses in Frederick, MD (Pressure hoses, return hoses, etc..))
- Heater hoses (Send hot water to the heater core)
- Air Conditioning Hoses (High pressure and return hoses that flow refrigerant)
- Coolant Bypass Hoses in Frederick, MD
Most people change their oil on a regular basis, but most neglect the condition of the belts and hoses. A broken belt or ruptured hose can cause more trouble than an overdue oil change ever would. If you think your vehicle’s belts and hoses in Frederick, MD need to be inspected or have a problem, contact your trusted local Frederick, MD mechanic and make an appointment. Carriage House Automotive replaces belts and hoses. We also perform brake repairs in Frederick, MD and all types of other auto repairs. Give us a call at 301-694-8030.